Wednesday 11 February 2015

Out and about - Manchester


With the weather on the up this week I decided it was high time to venture away from the computer screen and step out into the world. I have to admit, I wasn’t too adventuresome (it is still quite offensively cold out there) but a short train ride later I was in the centre of Manchester, and ready to explore.

We all know that Manchester is a pretty major city, and its centre never fails to impress me. There is always something going on, and it doesn’t usually require any particular skill or geographical understanding to stumble across it. When I visited, the upcoming Chinese New Year and Valentines Day where making their marks on the streets, in the shops and in nearly every café I stopped in.


Of course I couldn’t resist the temptation of popping into Paperchase, and with three floors to peruse, I lost a good few hours in there. Another place I usually make a B-line for is Urban Outfitters, mainly for the accessories and books, but it’s also a great place to people watch. With these two main ones off my list (and a couple more impromptu stops along the way) I was then clear to set off to my favourite part of Manchester – The Northern Quarter.

By this time it was nearing lunch (I didn’t exaggerate the amount of time I’d spent in Paperchase), which was good for two main reasons 1). Nothing in the Northern Quarter seems to open before 10am so lunch time is usually the best time to arrive, and 2). The Northern Quarter has arguably some of the worlds greatest, if not tastiest, independent café’s in the UK.  So, where to go? Well naturally I found myself following friends recommendations, and heading off to Koffee Pot. As far as I’m aware this café has always been around, I think they built the rest of the Northern Quarter around it. But unfortunately for me they where mid way through a relocation to Oldham Street (We’ll go back to this street once I’m fed) which is due to open any day now . . . However I wasn’t too disheartened, a quick walk round led me to the unusually large glass doors of Superstore, grocers and kitchen, and many things in-between. I think I’d describe it as a safe stop for guaranteed deliciousness. A place where you can safely order anything off the menu, even if you’re a little uncertain about some of the combinations, safely in the knowledge that it always comes out tasting great. I suppose for a restaurant there’s not greater accolade. And with a hearty full stomach I was ready to hit the streets once more.



Now as you’d imagine the Northern Quarter encompasses quite a large area, and there are and untold number of shops and boutiques to discover, many of them off the main streets and into a rabbit warren of alleyways and back routes. But to sum a long day of exploring up there are two  ‘jackpot’ locations to head to: 


Oldham Street, which starts off at the top with Abakhan fabrics, a great source for anything fabric and craft related. It’s home to the new Koffee Pot location, which can’t be a bad thing. It’s got numerous vintage shops, the opening to Afflecks, the Oxfam Emporium, Manchester’s Forbiddenplanet store and a coffee shop which sells hazelnut hot chocolate. But most importantly of all is it is the proud home of Magma. One of my favourite shops, set up to be a small beautiful place to find just what you where looking for – even though you weren’t sure what ‘IT’ was before you got there. Another great stop is the Fig and Sparrow, you’ll be inspired by the décor, and you can shop a refined collection of wonderful objects from the comfort of your seat whilst enjoying tea and cake, perfect.


Manchester Craft and Design Centre: An old Victorian fish market that has been saved from ruin (or being turned into apartments – which can arguably be the same thing) and transformed into studio and selling areas for artists and crafts people. It’s an amazingly creative space, you could spend hours just enjoying the building itself, but the real treasures are to be found up the stairs and off to the sides in the studio spaces. The spaces are small, so if it’s quiet you do feel slightly watched, but everyone is very friendly and happy to chat about all sorts as you browse. I’ve never eaten at the café here, I filled up to generously on the way here, but I’ve been told good things.

For the remainder of the week (and beyond if needs be) I’ll be sharing my character filled finding from these wondrous places, so keep your eyes peeled, you know where to come if you want more.